Sunday, January 4, 2015

a few words about Christmas...

I've been thinking about traditions lately...remembering old ones and attempting to create new ones.  Do you adhere to the traditions of your youth?  We didn't have a lot when I was growing up, but one of the fun things I remember about Christmas morning were our stockings.  There was always an orange in it, and usually some sort of candy.  The oranges were such a treat because we did not have them the rest of the year.  I think I remember socks or underwear too, though that memory isn't as strong as the oranges! 



Another tradition that I goes as far back as I can remember was the exchanging of "goodie plates".  My mom was a busy farm wife, but at Christmas time, goodies were made and plates were exchanged with the neighbors.  This is the first year I did not follow through with this one...though that will be remedied next year!  One of my favorite family traditions are the Springerle cookies.  These cookies are something you either like or you don't as they contain anise (which tastes like black licorice).  The dough is rolled out with a patterned rolling pin that creates little squares with designs embossed on them.  The squares are cut and left to dry for a day or so...then baked into yummy little pillow cookies that I look forward to even today.  On of the items on my "do it soon" list is to actually participate in the baking of these cookies with my mom, because sadly, I never have!

When my kids were small, I loved shopping for little gifts to go into their stockings.  I kept up with the oranges for a time...don't know why that stopped.  One tradition that I started when they were small was lifesaver candy books.  That one has continued.  It just doesn't seem right to not buy them each year.  I also have tried to start a new tradition of baking cookies with my grands.  It is so fun to just let them make a mess...nothing makes me smile bigger than watching them dump a whole jar of sprinkles on one cookie (usually the one they are going to eat).  In fact, I don't step in to help with sprinkles until they have done their "eating" cookies...sprinkles are the most important part to them. 

I love Christmas!  With such a busy schedule that past few years, the preparation and decorating have taken a back seat, and I can't wait to remedy that.  The increasing controversy that surrounds the season just makes my heart hurt.  Personally, I don't care if Jesus was born on a hot July night in the middle of a freeway...so that whole argument about December 25th not being the actual day of His birth is irrelevant to me.  I think we choose the strangest things to get hung up on to justify our beliefs (or lack of).

What I really want to say is...create traditions with your kids and keep them.  Give them fond memories to look back on from their childhood.  Give them oranges in their stockings :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment